Wednesday 6 March 2013

D.I.Y: For the love of Quilts......


Beautiful detailed quilt: found via ArtSake with no original link (if anyone knows please  comment)
Black and White Quilt via Pinterest
Seen on display at My Blue Bamboo in Plymouth, Minnesota :Karen Stone Quilt pattern
Quilt of Stars: Sparkler Quilt via Funquilts
For Instant results this Reversible Kaleidoscope quilt is pretty good value at Urban Outfitters


Black, white and grey handmade quilts



Stunning Velvet Quilt ELLE France // February 2013 Via Born to be wild


When someone says quilt making I used to think of naff handmade quilts, with pastel flower patterns favoured by grannies worldwide, however I have recently found a new respect for the world of quilting.

I have Come across awesome skilled quilt artists, like Karen Stone whose intricate psychedelic patterns remind me of Abstract artists like Kandinsky, and have totally inspired me... although I may start off with something a lot more simple.. like learning how to use a sewing machine.. I am hoping the second image (black and white quilt) is a bit more realistic


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! There's nothing I'd rather sleep under than a cotton quilt.

Melissa P said...

Ah, quilts. So many memories get wrapped up in quilts. Thanks for sharing all of these!

The top quilt is from Tula Pink's Space Dust pattern, see her blog here: http://tulapink.com/2011/06/20/space-dust/

The quilting on this one definitely looks like Angela Water's style of free motion quilting.

Ally said...

My mom quilts and I always thought it was a granny thing to do but she helped me make my first one and it wasnt hard since I know how to sew it is just really really time consuming and lots of detail work! You should start out making a small quilt for a pet if you have one! :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/100521211/psychedelic-mushroom-chakra-gemstone?

(thats my quilt. didnt turn out the way i wanted but still pretty good)

oh and check out paula nadelstern she makes some amazing amazing kaleidoscope quilts so psychedelic

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

I was in love wioth patchwork quilts in the 70s when laura Ashley was all the rage. I never thought that they could look so modern though, or even so bohemian. I sooooo need that velvet one. Divine!

melanie said...

a few years back they had a huge quilt exhibition at the armory in NYC, titled Red, White and Quilted. It definitely opened my eyes to the amazing patterns people create with quilts. This one was one of my favorites.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarkio11/5568488607/in/set-72157626373989010

Merida said...

Gabi I love your blog so much. You should check out my dear friend Pauline Boyd's amazing Los Angeles based quilt company called Counterpane. Website here http://counterpanehandmade.com/ Thanks for the inspiration always!

hippyatheart said...

love the b/w quilt and the star quilt. have to check it out.

Maria at inredningsvis said...

GREAT POST:)
Your blog is so wonderful and Im following...I hope you follow me also:)

If you want some cute swedish decor inspiration...check out my blog:)

Have a great day dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(sweden)

Melissa said...

These are all very beautiful pieces of art!

<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring!! am thinking of combining quilting with my illustrations- keep up the good work with your beautiful blog

Unknown said...

I just adore the last photo ~ crochet & velvet ~ so decadent boho!!!

theo said...

the first one was made by tula pink fyi