Thursday 22 January 2015

The Houseboat of... Emma Freemantle




All Images from Daily Mail online

Emma brought this beautiful 38 ft narrowboat in 2011 having previously rented from its owners fro two years . The boat has been lovingly restored and showcases Emma's vintage fabric collection. The whole boat is beautiful but the kitchen and bathroom are really gorgeous arent they?

The multifunctional living/dining space is at the far end of the boat. A table and two fixed benches softened with bolsters and cushions in a mix of new and old ticking are usually put to work as Emma's dining area and work space - tools, fabrics, paperwork and sketchbooks are stowed under the seats. 'The space is easily reconfigured by lowering the table top to form a platform daybed,' says Emma. 'It's great for when friends come over: we all slip off our shoes and sit chatting and eating.' The red vintage fabric wreaths are from Emma¿s latest collection


Of boat life Emma Says...

‘One of the best things about living on water is the effect it has on you. I’m immersed in the elements from the moment I wake. Nature is so close; I’m aware of the light, the sunshine, the wildlife – it’s all on my doorstep! I see the seasons change in front of me, and slowly but surely the wood burner gets turned off. Another joy of living here is the people: we are a very close community, I know all my neighbours and we share.

‘I suppose I could live in a much easier way – maybe I’ll look back in years to come and wonder how I did it, but right now I don’t mind the niggles: changing the gas bottles, topping up the water tank, the upkeep of the external paintwork.
The water could be hotter, and I could do with a bit more space – when I stretch my arms out, I can touch the sides. For now though, it’s my perfect floating gypsy caravan, and I hope it will stay in my family for ever.’

To view the whole interview and see more of Emmas boat visit here 
 If you would like to see more of my HouseBoat posts visit here

3 comments:

Melissa said...

This is incredible! I don't know if I could ever live on a houseboat, but I sure love the thought of it. Such a beautiful home.

Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is amazing - I've always wanted to see inside a houseboat and I want to live on one. Thanks for the photos!

moonpoppy said...

I don't think this way of life would be for me,but when I see this cozy houseboat I almost wish it was!