Saturday 6 January 2018

5 minutes with.... Semra From Mama Moon Candles

Moon Ritual: Mama Moon Candles


Today on Moon to Moon we are lucky enough to have Semra from Mama Moon candles telling us about her journey from Stylist to candle maker!! I first discovered her beautiful candles a year or so ago via Instagram and have been intrigued to know a little more of what goes on behind the scenes for a while....so...


1)   Hi Semra, Can you tell us a little bit about yourself  and what led you to making candles?


Hey, yes sure… I am a very sensitive and loyal scorpio! I like to practice feel good magic.. I love the whole psycho- spiritual aspect of it.  I guess I would consider myself an eclectic witch who uses a little of this and a little of that! 


My journey to making candles has been varied, I was a fashion stylist for about 11 years, I wasn’t enjoying it for multiple reasons.  I decided to quit and go to University to study psychology, I loved learning all the theories, but the whole rats and stats of it all was something that I couldn’t cope with.. I’m way too spiritual! … So I quit and my best friend and I decided to do something courageous and bonkers and set up a kickstarter and raised money to buy a motor-home and perform our comedy show in the back of! It was a total passion project and was so much fun, stressful at times, but wouldn’t change that experience for anything..


While I have had my various jobs on the go I have always been in to healing, rituals and mixing oil blends and herbs… all this is very natural to me and has really helped and empowered me through some of life's rocky times,  I wanted to create something that would make people feel good and was an accessible way to create a mini ritual at home.



2) What is different about Mama Moon soy based candles to the mass produced ones available in big shops?


Big machines aren’t mixing them up, I am! I’m in my kitchen,  I’m heating the wax and mixing in the oils that have been infused with crystals, and I'm  pouring them in to the jars all myself… Each one is individually made by me, with love, care and magic!..  I create a protective circle and put a lot of positive intention in to them.  It’s a very personal experience and I love that my customers really feel that connection with them…


3) You have mixed together two of my personal favorite scents oud and rose in your 'Love Manifestation' candle. What was the inspiration behind the scent and what led you to this combination ?


The first time I ever smelt oud was on the glamorous Arab ladies in the cosmetics department in Selfridges! The smell is so powerful and potent, a total heady aphrodisiac, which is why it goes so well with rose which is the  universal go to smell that has signified love for centuries… Together they can be quite  hypnotic!!


4) What candle do you light when you have had a stressful day? 

Oh my its so hard to decide! Moon Ritual is my number one  its so warming and comforting... If I'm  having a bath it would have to be Healing and Meditation ( thats my cats favourite one too!)


5) Other than light a candle , what other ways do you like to relax at home?

I love cooking… now its cold, I’ll be cooking stews or soups – getting cosy in my pijamas, chill with my cat and watch some netflix!


Mama Moon Candles

6) you left a successful career in styling to start Mama Moon . what advice would you give to readers thinking about starting a small business?


If you have an idea GO FOR IT!  Remember that you don’t have to start with a big professional product launch you can start small and that way it is really easy to learn from mistakes and see what works and what doesn’t. Don’t sabotage yourself with perfectionism, as it is a form of procrastination in disguise! Share your ideas with friends and family, don’t be shy about it! If you are feeling a little un-confident book in a few sessions with a life coach. I had a really amazing life coach at the beginning of Mama Moon and she definitely taught me some really useful tips that I still tap in to now… I would also recommend entrepreneurial podcasts.. Its very reassuring to know that everyone started somewhere and its also a good motivator to know that hard work does pay off! 



7) What has been your proudest moment/ what do you appreciate the most about/of  Mama Moon?


I love that my candles have become part of peoples sacred spaces and that they are part of peoples intention setting rituals. That really is an honour. I am always so touched when my customers send me photos and tell me how happy my candles make them … That connection is a real honour makes me truly buzz!


I see that you have recently organised a foraging and smudge making workshop have you any other plans for mama moon's growth or new products in the near future?
 
Yes… I've got some really cool stuff cooking in the kitchen ( and other places ) All will be revealed very soon!!!! I have also really enjoyed sharing my moon rituals this year.. So definitely more of them too!

A massive thank you to Semra for taking the time to talk to Moon to Moon xx

To try Semra's Mama Moon Candles visit her webshop here, she can also be found on Instagram

Semra at her pop up shop in London Last year

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a nice interview!
I haven't tried these candles yet, but they're in my wishlist :)

I also wanted to say that I'm so happy you are writing again, this is one of my favourite blogs since the beginning, and you are such an inspiration now that I'm starting my own blog :)

Rock on!

Alice

Moon to Moon said...

Oh thank you so much Alice. It feels great to be back and motivated again. I definitely recommend trying Semra's candles xx